LGL Limited – Cambridge, ON
Contract: 16 months, with opportunity for contract extension or full-time employment
LGL Limited’s Ontario Region is seeking an ecologist for immediate employment in our Cambridge office. The successful candidate will have excellent attention to detail, good time management skills, and strong interpersonal skills. This individual is capable of effective written and oral communication, has a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and is self-directed and motivated to produce high quality results in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment. Demonstrated experience conducting field investigations and delivering high-quality technical reports is an asset. The successful candidate will be expected to dedicate a large portion of their time to field studies. This work is physical and can include hiking in areas of rough terrain and working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Field work is typically carried out within three hours of our office location; however, on occasion, overnight trips or extended stays may be required. As well, there may be opportunities to support other LGL offices in North America on a seasonal basis.
- field investigations especially bird surveys and ecological land classification but also herpetofauna, mammals, insects, and aquatic communities;
- support field investigations related to vegetation (arborist surveys, urban forestry, tree and vascular plant identification, and wetland evaluation);
- support field investigations related to aquatic habitat and communities (benthic macro-invertebrates, fish collection, water quality sampling);
- conduct background data reviews to include liaising with agencies to obtain ecological information;
- complete pre-planning steps for projects (health and safety planning, preparation/maintenance of field materials and equipment, etc.);
- conduct species at risk inventories and habitat identification/delineation;
- work closely and collaboratively with a team of biologists, GIS analysts and environmental planners to complete natural heritage inventories, impact assessments and prepare high quality scientific and technical reporting;
- assist with environmental permitting and approvals; and
- support senior staff in project management tasks.
Essential Qualifications & Technical Skills:
- post-secondary degree or diploma in biology, ecology, or environmental science from a recognized University or College;
- a strong working knowledge of the taxonomy and ecology of the terrestrial flora and fauna of Ontario, including solid songbird identification skills (audio and visual);
- knowledge of and experience with relevant legislation (such as Species at Risk Act, Fisheries Act, Endangered Species Act, Migratory Birds Convention Act, Ontario Provincial Policy Statement) policy documents and acceptable inventory protocols and/or guidelines for Ontario;
- knowledge of and experience with Ecological Land Classification for Southern Ontario and Ontario Wetland Evaluation System;
- possess excellent written and oral communication skills;
- proficient with Microsoft Office software applications; and
- a valid driver’s license.
Additional Skills/Certifications that would be considered an asset:
- knowledge and experience with animal handling techniques;
- environmental training workshops and certifications (ELC, OSAP, OWES, OBBN, CABIN, Class I and II Electrofishing, etc.) – please include a list of those you hold on your CV;
- experience with deployment of wildlife cameras and acoustic recording equipment; and
- up-to-date rabies vaccination.
Salary & Benefits: LGL Limited provides competitive salaries to commensurate with experience and capability.
Contact: Send via email a cover letter with career goals and objectives, citizenship/residency status, and a full résume to:
Ms. Heather Polan
Ecologist, LGL Limited
445 Thompson Drive, Unit 2
Cambridge, ON N1T 2K7
Email any enquiries. No phone calls please.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
LGL Limited is a Canadian, employee-owned company established in 1971 to provide environmental research and consulting services. Our head office is located in King City, ON, with secondary/affiliate offices located throughout North America including Cambridge, Ontario. LGL’s clients include government, industry, First Nations and non-government organizations. LGL employs over 100 full-time professionals including freshwater and marine biologists, wildlife biologists, botanists, acoustic engineers, environmental planners and computer database/mapping specialists.
LGL’s Ontario business group began more than 25 years ago to serve the Ontario market, primarily related to land and infrastructure development and natural resource management.
Please visit www.lgl.com for more information.