FISHERIES DATA SPECIALIST
Blue Leaf Environmental – Seattle or Ellensburg, WA
About Blue Leaf Environmental
Blue Leaf Environmental is a consulting firm that specializes in a variety of environmental services from fisheries administration support services and feasibility studies to large-scale survival studies. Our staff has expertise in the challenges of fish passage of numerous anadromous and catadromous fishes, through hands on behavioral studies conducted throughout the U.S. and worldwide on a variety of species.
About the Role
Provide data management solutions for large- and small-scale fisheries projects. Determine the needs of clients and end-users and design the database architecture and user-friendly applications required by them. Primary duties will include building and maintaining databases, supporting data analysis as well as developing and maintaining custom applications. The ideal candidate would have experience or training in fisheries or natural resource research. A flexible candidate who’s able to support Blue Leaf in other capacities beyond data related work, such as field work, data collection, reporting, and/or proposal writing is a plus. The position can be either part-time or full-time. In-person (or hybrid-remote) is preferred to remote. Compensation based on experience.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain, design, and create SQL (and other) databases while ensuring the data is secure, organized, and accessible to end-users.
- Research, design, develop, test, analyze, deploy, maintain, and support user-friendly custom software applications, including existing applications created in R or Microsoft Access.
- Maintain and create forms, processes and queries using R, Microsoft Access VBA (or other programming languages) that can manipulate SQL Server stored data.
- Develop and maintain data import, export, and update processes.
- Create and maintain database-integrated R scripts and SQL stored procedures that assess or analyze fisheries behavioral and survival data.
- Combine, clean, and convert historical fisheries data from multiple file types and formats into new multi-year databases that can be easily queried.
- Create cloud-based and/or mobile apps for field data collection.
- Meet with clients (staff and external consulting clients) regarding their database and application needs.
- Write specifications for software projects, and write and implement efficient code.
- Develop and implement robust data QA/QC processes.
- Potential to migrate current solutions to more current or appropriate technologies which may include Azure hosted databases and/or other cloud front-end, reporting and analysis tools.
- Create user-friendly documentation for databases and software applications.
- Train end users and resolve user problems and questions.
- Contribute to reporting and proposals by writing the technical details regarding data management and processing section.
Knowledge & Experience
- Database design, implementation, and management.
- Expert level proficiency programming in SQL and R.
- Track record of successful hands-on experience designing, developing, testing, and deploying custom software applications (e.g., R Shiny apps).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Access VBA, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Ability to conduct and collaborate on data analysis projects using R. Including but not limited to creating custom figures and maps, as well as algorithmic data processing.
- Experience applying the scientific method and hypothesis testing.
- Experience with cloud database technologies like Azure is a plus.
- General knowledge of multiple programming languages and ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. Attention to detail is a must.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience or training in a fisheries or scientific/research setting is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Biology, Natural Resources or related field with 2+ years of applicable experience. A Master’s degree with an applicable thesis and course work can substitute for on the job experience. Likewise, an associate degree with 4+ years of related experience would be equivalent.
If you believe your credentials and interests apply, please send a cover letter with resume listing your qualifications to email@example.com.